Pages

Tuesday 24 November 2015

The Gods of HP LovecraftThe Gods of HP Lovecraft by Martha Wells
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A bit of a curate's egg, as anthologies often are, several of these tales feel as if the Lovecraft element was shoehorned in to make them fit the theme, and those stories feel less complete, and a bit out of place here as a result.

That said, there's a few gems to be had - Moore and Golden's pulpy Mi-Go story hit the spot perfectly, as did Maberry's Nightgaunts meet weird PI modern noir. Lansdale and Barron show off their own particular tics and flourishes to great effect too.

But the highlight for me was Adam Nevill's CALL THE NAME, which manages to be both epic in scale in time and space, yet claustrophobic in the horrors growing inside a woman's mind. The way it unfolds will stick with me for a while, and for me, that's what Lovecaft's monsters are all about.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment