Pages

Monday 24 February 2020

SanditonSanditon by Jane Austen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have not watched the television series which this book is based on, but the story, characters and dialogue will obviously be constrained by the mini-series version.
Unfortunately I was not impressed with the Davies version of Pride and Prejudice so I was slightly concerned with what he would do with the fragment of Sanditon.
As a romance story it was an entertaining read, with its interesting characters, especially the Parker family and Charlotte Heywood. I also got to like the characters of Lady Dernham and Esther Denham.
But I felt the sexual innuendos were crude and totally unnecessary for a work supposedly based on a Jane Austen fragment, and some of the characters seemed extreme or acted in an extreme way.
I certainly have preferred other finished versions and it was disappointing to find that the story is not finished. Overall an enjoyable read but not a great read.
Received a paperback copy for review

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment